2018 CALL FOR PAPERS
We welcome proposals for individual papers and complete panels for the 39th annual Conference of the Northeast Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (NESEEES, a regional affiliate of ASEEES). The Conference will be held on Saturday, April 7, 2018 at the NYU Jordan Center for the Advanced Study of Russia. We are very grateful to the Jordan Center, and Joshua Tucker, Director of the Center and NESEEES Honorary Chair, for their support.
Scholarly papers and panels are welcome on any aspect of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies. Complete panels will receive preference over individual paper submissions.
Proposals must include the following:
- Title and a one-paragraph abstract
- Any requests for technical support
- Presenter’s email and surface mail addresses
- Presenter’s institutional affiliation and professional status (professor, graduate student, etc.)
- The name and contact information for the panel organizer, where applicable.
Undergraduate students under the guidance of a faculty mentor may present a paper at the Conference if the faculty mentor submits the information listed above.
Please submit your proposals here: https://goo.gl/forms/QA2fhIFqnV9tZvb02 not later than Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
We strongly urge professionals in the field to volunteer to serve as chairs and/or discussants. Much of the benefit of the Conference depends on active participation and informed commentary by participants.
Graduate students are encouraged to participate. A graduate student essay prize is awarded each year for the best paper presented at the conference. Essays are judged according to the following criteria:
- clarity of main research question outlining the scholar’s approach to the topic
- importance of the research to the profession
- amount of support for the argument
- use of primary sources
- adequate and interesting content
- readiness for publication: use of English, readability and style
Following the Conference, graduate students may submit revised papers to the competition for review. Visual materials accompanying the presentation at the Conference should be submitted along with the written text for evaluation. The papers must be between 7,500 and 14,000 words in length. The first prize paper will be entered in the national ASEEES competition.
Questions can be sent to: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you at the Conference in April.
Elidor Mehilli, NESEEES Co-President
Erin McBurney, NESEEES Co-President